The matrimonial bed has, from time immemorial, held a sacrosanct place in marriage.
According to the Merriam-Webster dictionary, this is a term used to describe both the marriage institution and sex figuratively on the one hand and the physical bed that a couple shares on the other.
Let’s go with the latter description for this article.
Firstly, what is an ideal matrimonial bed?
The ideal matrimonial bed is not only a place to lie down at night. It’s a haven for rest, intimacy, and shared dreams. It is therefore the cornerstone of a harmonious and intimate relationship.
But over time, and with vigorous activity almost similar to that of a football pitch, even the most beloved bed can start to tear and wear. Some go to the extent of creaking so loudly before going down on their knees eventually.
If your matrimonial bed needs an urgent makeover, worry not! A DIY (do-it-yourself) upgrade can certainly breathe new life into your love nest. At the same time, the good news is that you don’t have to break the bank to do it.
Here are some creative ideas to guide you along the way of revitalizing your dreamland.
Remake the Headboard of the Matrimonial Bed
Splash Some Upholstered Magic
With constant collision with the head, a headboard is prone to wear easily, with the fabric both fraying and discoloring.
In this situation, breathe a new life into a plain headboard with fresh fabric. Furthermore, with a good designer, you can customize your headboard according to your liking. You can explore and incorporate:
- A sound music system
- Some innovative lighting ideas
- Color schemes that match the rest of your bedroom
To spice things up, select lush velvet for an appearance of extravagance, a fun design for a flash of individuality, or soothing linen for a tranquil, spa-like atmosphere.
Furthermore, you can find affordable upholstery fabric at a flea market or online marketplaces.
Upholstered Matrimonial Bed Headboard
Woodsy Wonder: If you’re skilled with tools, think about constructing a rustic headboard out of salvaged barn doors or reclaimed wood pallets. Compared to purchasing new items, you’ll save a ton of money by doing this.
For a dash of industrial appeal to your headboard, consider:
- Adding fairy lights or metal accessories
Non-existent Matrimonial Bed Headboard
Perhaps we are talking about headboards, whereas your bed has none. Since a headboard adds some glamour to your bed, you may consider improvising one.
One way to get started is by attaching some wooden planks to your wall.
And if you’re still having trouble with improvisation, try the tip below.
Headboard Hack: Use your imagination! Place an old ladder against the wall, hang a big tapestry, or arrange huge throw pillows in a pyramid pattern at the head of your bed.
Embrace the Canopy of Comfort
A bed canopy undoubtedly gives your bed a regal look.
Some excellent bed canopies to explore include:
- Fairy Tale Fabric: Turn your bed into a lovely haven by making a homemade canopy. Hang sheer curtains from the ceiling to encircle the bed with a fluttering frame of fabric. For an extra magical touch, add fairy lights or twinkling lights
- Macramé Marvel: Use a handwoven cover to embrace your inner rustic vibe. This elaborate, knotted artwork adds texture and visual interest to your bedroom while also providing a sense of enclosure and privacy
By exploring these various DIY projects, you can transform your matrimonial bed into a personalized sanctuary that you’ll look forward to entering each day.
Textile Ideas for Your Matrimonial Bed
Layer up in Luxe for Comfort
Is what meets your eye welcoming when you enter the bedroom? You can have rugs of romance as a focal point on entry.
Use a cozy rug to anchor your bed with these nice options:
- A patterned kilim rug will give off a bohemian vibe
- A synthetic fur rug with shaggy hair will exude ultimate extravagance
- A soft sheepskin will lend a sense of Scandinavian simplicity
After the welcoming rugs, give your bed a welcoming allure too by adding layers of luxurious bedding made of fine texture and comfort.
To begin with, go for beds with adjustable bases and a smart mattress that isn’t too firm. For your back’s well-being, we suggest the use of orthopedic mattresses.
Secondly, choose fitted sheets made of linen or cotton that are supple and breathable.
Lastly, add a cozy duvet cover and layer on decorative throw pillows in varying sizes and patterns. For those chilly nights, don’t forget to include a plush throw blanket.
To ice the cake of the matrimonial bed, let’s add some accessories:
- Ambient Glow: Use bedside lamps to create a romantic atmosphere in place of the glaring overhead light. Choose lampshades made of cloth or natural materials like rattan or wood, and warm-toned lightbulbs
- Aromatherapy Bliss: To create a relaxing and seductive ambiance in your bedroom, diffuse essential oils such as ylang-ylang, lavender, or chamomile
- Sentimental touches: Adorn your room with framed pictures, sentimental mementos, or artwork that captures the essence of your journey together
Why Consider a Matrimonial Bed Makeover?
Of all the rooms in a home, the bedroom must have its prominence clearly spelled out.
Why so? On average, we spend a third of our lifetime in the bedroom. In effect, that means we spend an average of about 25 years cumulatively of our lives in bed. Ha!
Besides the time factor, your marriage bed is a representation of your intimate and shared life together. It is not just a piece of furniture like the others in the house.
Your relationship will, by and large, benefit from devoting time and energy to a bed makeover.
Moreover, you will additionally want to assess other bed factors, such as:
- Understanding your personal sleep preferences
- Finding the perfect balance for both of you
Balanced against this, if your partner is the kind who sleeps sprawled on the bed, you’ll most likely go for a king-size bed
This step ensures that the end-result caters to both partners, creating a comfortable space for rest, and relaxation.
Feng Shui Principles Applied to a Matrimonial Bed
You can favorably affect the energy flow, which is thought to impact your relationship, by setting up your bedroom and marriage bed under Feng Shui principles.
Key Points of Feng Shui Principles:
- Foundational Concepts: The ancient Chinese art of Feng Shui is based on the notion that optimizing the flow of energy within one’s surroundings can lead to peace and well-being
- Bedroom as Relationship Area: The sleeping space is a vital “Relationship Area” in Feng Shui, particularly the marriage bed
- Proper Arrangement: Specific guidelines exist for bed placement, headboard position, and overall bedroom organization to enhance good energy flow within the space
- Harmony and Balance: It’s thought that establishing these qualities in the bedroom will improve the dynamics of your partnership
- Better understanding and communication between spouses
- Higher levels of connection and support in the relationship
- Increased intimacy and romance
- Reduced stress and better sleep quality
It’s important to note:
- Feng Shui is a complex practice with various schools of thought, and specific recommendations may differ
- The effectiveness of Feng Shui is subjective and varies based on individual beliefs and practices. It does not have reasonable scientific research
- A more comprehensive strategy for creating a successful partnership may involve integrating Feng Shui with other relationship-building techniques
Takeaway: Transforming Your Matrimonial Bed
In conclusion, remember, a DIY matrimonial bed makeover is all about infusing your personality and love into your space.
Don’t be afraid to experiment, get creative, and have fun. With a little imagination and effort, you can transform your bed into a haven of comfort, style, and romance, ready to host countless more chapters of your shared story.
Get your partner involved in the makeover process. Choose a project you can both work on together, like painting the headboard or selecting some new bedding.
Equally important, making your bed beautiful as a team can be a fun and bonding experience.
“Marriage is to be held in honor among all, and the marriage bed is to be undefiled; for fornicators and adulterers, God will judge.” Hebrews 13:4-6 New American Standard Bible